ATTENTION AHS STUDENTS: Student lists for AP Euro, AP Gov, AP Lang/Comp and AP Psych are available HERE.
Testing season is here! Many of you may remember the MEAP test, a statewide test that all students in grades 3-9 and 11 would take each year. This year the Michigan Department of Education has created new tests to help measure how are students are doing on standards of learning. What’s new this year? Lots!
- Instead of MEAP, our tests in Michigan have a new name: M-Step - the “Michigan Student Test of Educational Progress.”
- The tests are now given to most students online. We will be giving these computer-based tests starting next week.
- Tests are now given in spring instead of most tests being given in the fall. This means that, instead of testing in October to find out what students learned last year, tests are now given in April and May to find out what they have learned this year.
- Grades 3-8 and 11 will be tested. All grades take tests in Math and English Language Arts. In addition, grades 4, 7 and 11 take Science tests, and grades 5, 8 and 11 take an additional Social Studies test.
- Testing happens during a three-week window; grades are spread out over the next two months to make sure our computer labs aren't too crowded. Tests begin next week and continue through the end of May.
- Our students in grades 5, 8 and 11 will begin testing next week, and other grades will follow in the weeks ahead.
As you can see, there are lots of big changes for us and for kids.Let's help our students do their best!
- Make sure students get a good night’s sleep every night between now and the end of the year - this will be a challenge as the weather gets nice!
- Make sure they eat a good breakfast either at school or at home. Kids need “brain fuel” in the morning.
- Be at school on time each day! Testing can start right away in the morning, so try not to be late.
Want to learn more? Here is a parent letter from the Michigan Department of Education. You can also visit MDE's M-Step page.
The M-STEP is one way we learn how we are serving our kids. If we do everything we can to help them do their best, we ALL look good!