Alpena Public Schools, located in the cultural, economic, and educational hub of northeast Michigan, is a Class A district. We serve a population of approximately 4,000 students in 6 elementary schools for grades K-5, a junior high for grades 6-8, and a high school for grades 9-12. We also operate preschool programs and an alternative high school/adult education center.
One of the largest geographic districts in the State of Michigan, Alpena Public Schools covers more than 600 square miles, encompassing all of Alpena County as well as all of Presque Isle Township and a part of Krakow Township in Presque Isle County. Our well-organized fleet of buses transports 80 percent of the student body each day, safely traveling some 825,000 miles per year. Officially established as Michigan's first county-wide school district in 1963, Alpena Public Schools represents an aggregation of business people, farmers, professionals, service employees, children, parents, retirees, and clergy, all proud of their beautiful, bay-side community.
Our District's mission statement reflects our close connection with the people we serve: "Alpena Public Schools, in partnership with our community, teaches and challenges all students to become life-long learners and productive citizens."
Board of Education Goals
The Alpena Public School Board of Education will:
- advance academic achievement for all students.
- continue to be good stewards of the financial and physical resources of the District.
- maintain good communications with students, parents, staff, and community, fostering an atmosphere of respect, trust, openness, and willingness to listen.
Here are some facts and statistics about our District:
- Our bus fleet transports students from every corner of our 604 square mile District in 118 daily bus routes. If combined end-to-end, all those routes would stretch from Alpena to Disney World and back - every day!
- The APS Food Service team prepares over 690,000 meals each year! Our District also provides food service management for our neighbors, including Headstart, Pied Piper Opportunity Center, and the Alcona Community School District.
- APS employs over 500 individuals, including teachers, custodians, bus drivers, instructional assistants, administrators, cooks and a variety of support personnel. Our employees are members of the community who live, play and invest right here in Northeastern Michigan.
We're a proud part of the Alpena community working hard to remain "The Best Choice!"
For More Information
Gordon Admin. Building
2373 Gordon Road
Alpena, MI 49707
Facilities & Transportation
1357 M-32 West
Alpena, MI 49707
Ella White: 989-358-5950